It’s fun combining hobbies and this handmade Terra Cotta Aromatherapy necklace combined my love of rubber stamping, clay and essential oils. You can make any type of jewelry you desire: earrings, necklaces, bracelets, pendants, beads, etc. Once the clay is sculpted and dried, you can add the essential oil or blend of your choice to the jewelry. The oil absorbs into the clay and allows you to smell and experience the power of essential oil aromatherapy throughout your day. It’s like your own personal diffuser that goes wherever you do!
So many great design possibilities!
We made these at my A Muse Studio hostess club this month and they were really easy to make. I think everyone is excited to pick out an essential oil to use on their new necklace!
Here’s what you need:
- Terra-cotta clay (it has to be natural clay – I found mine on Amazon)
- Sand paper
- Rubber Stamps (small—no more than 1 inch in diameter)…my A Muse Studio rubber stamps were perfect for this!
- Shish kabob stick (or toothpick)
- String 1-1.25
- round cut-out object (can use caps left over from hair products, bottle caps, cookie cutter,etc.)
- Rolling pin (or pen/pencil will work)
- Aluminum foil
- Wax paper
1. Grab a handful of terra-cotta clay and rub in palms of hands until it’s soft and pliable.
2. Place a piece of wax paper on the table.
3. Use the rolling pin to roll out the clay until it’s 1/8 inch thick.
4. Take your round object for cutting out circles and press firmly into the clay to make the pendant.
5. Remove the excess clay from the cut out pendants. Take each pendant and stamp the design into clay.
6. Once you have stamped the pendants, take your shish kabob stick (or toothpick) and make a hole in the pendant. Make sure the hole is big enough to fit two strands of string into.
7. With the left over clay, make a few small round beads and put a medium to large size hole in the center of it.
8. Once all the pendants have holes, place them on a cookie sheet covered in aluminum foil and air dry according to the specifications provided with your clay.
9. Once dry, use sandpaper to lightly smooth away any rough edges. It will temporarily change the color of the clay, but it will return to normal once essential oils are applied.
10. Take your string and cut it to your desired length. You might want to add 4-5 extra inches just to be safe. You can always cut the string shorter later on.
11. Take your pendant and put both ends of your string through the hole. Pull the ends through and put them through the loop. Pull tight. This will help your pendant lay flat on your chest.
12. If you want a shorter necklace that can easily be taken on and off, follow steps 13-14. If not, just tie the two strings together.
13. On one end of the necklace tie a knot a couple inches down. Place a bead on next and then tie a knot on top of the bead so the bead is securely in place. On the other end of necklace, tie a loop that is large enough for the bead to fit through. Cut off any extra string. To take your necklace on and off, simply put the bead in the hole that will act as a clasp.
14. Your necklace pendant is done! Now it’s time to add the aromatherapy element to it.
15. Put 1 drop of your preferred essential oil onto the pendant.
That’s it! Your necklace is ready to wear so you can enjoy mood-enhancing essential oils throughout the day! If the scent begins to fade, you can add another drop to the pendant. Remember that a little essential oil goes a long way. 1 drop is plenty.
PS. The stamp images I used from A Muse Studio were: At First Sight, Seasonal Branch and Love is in the Air. Some of those are currently on sale right now (25% off!) during the Sweet Sale – and, I think there are some other sets (Tweet Heart & Sweet Love) on sale that would work perfectly with these Aromatherapy necklaces too!
Shared this project over on:
Save 25% on selected items, now – Feb 14!